The Philoptochos Society, meaning, “Friends of the Poor”, is the largest Christian charitable women’s organization in the world. Founded in 1931 by then Archbishop Athenagoras; today, Philoptochos chapters are located in every Greek Orthodox parish in the United States. In 1962, our local chapter was founded.
The Philoptochos Society is the only women’s philanthropic society recognized by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
Our Goals are to aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, and the victims of disasters. To undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and by promoting the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars, and other educational resources. We preserve and perpetuate our Orthodox Christian concepts, and through them, we promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worships, usage and customs, in unison with the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
Locally we support many organizations such as: UNICEF, Cardiac Fund, Cancer Fund, Joy Fund, Samaritan House, Ronald MacDonald House, Habitat for Humanity, Union Mission, Support a Mission Priest, Project Life Saver, Peace Corp, Holy Cross/Hellenic College, Seaman’s House, Judio Christian Outreach, Orthodox Christian Mission Center, St. Basil Academy in Garrison, New York, Tidewater Food Bank, Youth Challenge, and Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughter.
Contact Person(s): Joanna Goumenis
Phone: (757) 440-0500